Mediation in church sex abuse cases at a standstill

Archdiocese of Agana (PNC file photo)

Parties involved in the sex abuse lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Agana are having difficulty agreeing on a mediation protocol.

Guam – Will the cases filed against the Archdiocese of Agana move forward with mediation? That is a question that remains unanswered.

After four months of meetings to determine what mediation protocol to utilize in the numerous sex abuse lawsuits filed against the archdiocese, it appears that no progress has been made, according to Attorney Anthony Perez.

While Attorney Patrick Civille, who represents the Boy Scouts of America which is also named simultaneously in cases involving retired priest Father Louis Brouillard, informed the court that 95 percent of the plaintiffs are in agreement, the remaining 5 percent represented by Perez are in disagreement, as some of the conditions they are proposing, according to Civille “don’t look like they are going to fly.”

Meanwhile the majority indicated that a mediation protocol will be reached in time for mediation in March 2018.

If mediation is not agreed upon, Superior Court Judge Michael Bordallo insisted that a scheduling order be set. The next hearing is set for January 16 next year.

SOURCEJolene Toves
Previous articleArchbishop Michael Byrnes reflects on his 1-year anniv. on Guam
Next articleTrial delayed in bogus credit card case
Jolene joined the PNC team in 2017, as a producer, co-anchor and investigative reporter covering law enforcement, courts and crimes. Notable coverage includes the Ehlert case, the Mark Torre Jr. trial, the Allan Agababa trial, exclusive pieces on the Life of a Drug Dealer/Addict, and Life behind bars...the story of Honofre Chargualaf and Kevin Cruz. In 2019, she was promoted to Assistant News Director and Lead Anchor. From 2015 to 2017 she served as Public Relations and Promotions Manager, for the Hotel Nikko Guam handling local radio and advertorial promotions, as well as produced and directed tv commercials for the hotel. Prior to this she worked with KUAM for three years as a reporter and segment host. She began her journalism career in 2012, working with Glimpses of Guam contributing to the Guam Business Magazine, R&R magazine, MDM magazine and the Marianas Business Journal.