Wednesday, 08 March 2017

Church sex abuse victim tells his story

Written by 

Submit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn
55-year-old Anthony Flores shared his story and urges other victims to come forward.

Guam - The Archdiocese of Agana has another victim filing a lawsuit against the church for allegations of child sexual abuse, after 55-year-old Anthony Flores came forward, accusing former priest Father Louis Brouillard.

Brouillard was also a scoutmaster with the Boy Scouts of America. After four decades, Anthony Flores broke his silence about the abuse. Flores is one of many victims to come forward and file a lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Agana, but this is the first time the Boy Scouts of America were named as defendants and the first time a lawsuit has been filed jointly with a mainland law firm, Pfau Cochran Vertetis Amala PLLC.

Flores told PNC that he decided to come forward when two other victims accused the church of abuse. He says he served as an altar boy with them in the 1970’s, and tried to help by reporting the abuse to Monsignor Zoilo Camacho at the time, who Flores says did not believe him.

Shortly after, he says he became a victim of that same abuse. "My incident was under the Boy Scouts, at one of our jamborees," Flores shared. "And it was the last day, early morning, and I was being awakened by a feeling in my groin area. And when I looked, I saw Father performing oral sex on me. I tried to pull away and I kneed him in the chest and in the face."

And that was the last time Flores says he ever saw Brouillard. In October of last year, Brouillard, in a written statement, admitted to the sexual abuse and asked for forgiveness. To that, Flores said "I'm not sure if he's sincere. The apology can be taken, but the damage is done."

But Flores has a message to other sex abuse victims who have not yet come forward: "I know it's going to hurt. It's hurting me right now, but once it's out, you will be relieved that, finally, you can be heard. Back in our days, we never wanted to be heard. Children were to be seen, not to be heard... But now, as adults, we can be heard. And I would like them to come out and help us."

His attorney, Kevin Fowler of Dooley Roberts & Fowler, said he believes the Archdiocese and the Boy Scouts have documents that reflect abuse on Guam. "The Boy Scouts as well as the church know that abuse was pervasive and rampant. At this time, I can't say that they're taking responsibility for that," Fowler said.

As far as restitution for damages are concerned, Fowler says they will leave that to the court. 

Login to post comments