Guam – Guam Homeland Security and Office of Civil Defense [GHS/OCD] has announced that it will once again take part in the annual nationwide earthquake preparedness drill this Thursday, October 17.
“The Great Guam Shakeout – Drop, Cover and Hold On!” drill will occur at exactly 10:17am Thursday and it will last for approximately one minute.
GHS/OCD says it will be the largest earthquake drill in history with Island residents joining close to 8 million other Shakeout participants from all around the world by practicing the earthquake safety procedures to “DROP, COVER AND HOLD ON”.
GHS/OCD is encouraging all residents to increase earthquake preparedness and response by practicing how to protect themselves during an earthquake and how to take the necessary steps to ensure an earthquake disaster does not become a catastrophe.
To participate in “THE GREAT GUAM SHAKEOUT”:
· Register online at www.shakeout.org/guam or call 475-9600
· Plan your drill-DROP to the ground, take COVER under sturdy furniture, and HOLD on to the furniture until the one (1) minute drill is over
· Get prepared for earthquakes-make a disaster plan
· Share the ShakeOut – encourage your family, friends and co-workers to join
· Tune in to local AM/FM radio stations for a live drill broadcast
· Take photos of your employees during the drill and post on your social media sites.
For more information, or to download resources to assist in earthquake drill preparation, visit “The Great Guam Shakeout” website at www.shakeout.org/guam.